H. Douglas Shepherd IV
MICHIGAN STATE UNIVERSITY COLLEGE OF LAW
- Juris Doctor, cum laude
- Corporate Law Concentration
- Bachelor of Arts, Economics and Management, cum laude
- President, Alpha Tau Omega Fraternity, Beta Omicron Chapter
- Team Captain and Varsity Letters, Albion College Basketball Team
Doug has practiced law in Traverse City since 2002. He spent 11 years practicing at the former firm of Brandt, Fisher, Alward & Pezzetti. In 2013, Doug became the founding member of North Coast Legal, PLC.
Doug is a Banking, Business and Real Estate Attorney specializing in Creditor’s rights. He has dedicated his legal career to representing local, regional and national financial institutions to workout troubled loan relationships, document new loan relationships, audit loans with comprehensive loan reviews, and maximize recovery to the financial institution through enforcement of the Creditor’s rights utilizing litigation, foreclosure and all available contractual and statutorily created methods.
Doug's philosophy is to provide great service, tremendous value, and results to NCL's clients. He does so by emphasizing client communication, utilizing all available technology and resources, and last, but certainly not least, good old fashion hard work. Doug takes great pride in the following:
Never being outworked
Always being prepared
Completing all tasks efficiently
By focusing on the above, the service, value and results take care of themselves.
Creditor’s Rights: Experience, Guiding Principles and Practice Areas
Doug has represented over 40 financial institutions, including national, regional, and local lenders, banks and credit unions.
Doug adheres to 3 guiding principles in representing institutional clients:
- Understanding the client’s ideal resolution and goals in order to represent the client’s best interest;
- Maximizing net recovery and client satisfaction by obtaining results efficiently, effectively and counseling clients on realistic expectations and the cost/risk analysis of certain courses of actions; and
- Discharging his responsibilities in ethical, moral and professional manner, understanding that his actions are a reflection of NCL's clients, and treating all involved (clients, debtors, attorneys, court staff, judges) with the dignity, respect and courtesy and expecting reciprocation, while at the same time being fully prepared to be assertive and aggressive to accomplish maximum recovery for NCL clients.
Creditor's Rights Practice Areas
- Complex Commercial Collection
- Consumer Collection
- Forbearance Agreements
- Loan Modification
- Loan Workouts
- Judicial Foreclosures
- Complex Non-Judicial Foreclosures
- High Volume Non-Judicial Foreclosures
- Bank Loan Reviews
- Bank Loan Documentation
- Assignment of Rents Enforcement
- Post Judgment Collection
- Loan Modification
- Appointment of Receiver
- Post-Foreclosure Deficiency Collection
- Claim and Delivery
- REO Transactions
- Loan Sales
- Title Claims
- Curative Title Actions
- Landlord/Tenant and Evictions
Doug represents businesses of all size and in a multitude of industries, including the following Practice Areas:
- Start-Up, Mergers and Acquisition
- Corporate Records Retention and Upkeep (ask about the NCL Corporate and LLC Records Program)
- Buy/Sell Agreements
- Family succession planning
- Real Estate Transactions
Doug has significant experience in Real Estate matters, incluidng:
- Commercial and Residential Transactions
- Purchaser Agreements (Buyers and Sellers)
- Deed Drafting
- Condominium Projects
Publications, Papers and Presentations
- Authored an article published in the Spring 2007 edition of the Michigan Land Title Association’s “The Title Examiner” regarding amendments to the Foreclosure by Advertisement Statute related to the Abandonment procedure.
- Authored an article published in the Spring 2010 edition of the Michigan Land Title Association’s “The Title Examiner” regarding new requirements of the Foreclosure by Advertisement Statute related to required Mortgage Modification procedure prior to foreclosure.
- Authored an informational handout for clients regarding “How to Choose the Form of Your New Business”.
- Regularly present to clients on a variety of loss mitigation topics, including mortgage foreclosure, mortgage modification, forbearance agreements, collection litigation procedures, landlord tenant/evictions and loan documentation.
Hobbies & Other Interests
- Being a Dad -- Loving every minute of raising a wonderful son and two amazing daughters
- Being a Husband -- 2nd in Command of Team Shepherd and Shepherd Family World Headquarters.
- Being a Coach -- Traverse City Waves Girls Travel Softball, Northern Exposure Travel Basketball, GTACS and YMCA Basketball, TBAYS Youth Soccer.
- Being Active -- Bayshore Full and 1/2 Marathon Finisher, Kayaker, retired Basketball gym rat.
Memberships, Clubs and Honors
- Former Member, Board of Directors – Grand Traverse Bay YMCA
- Member, Board of Directors – Hidden Ridge Condominium Association
- Past President, Board of Directors, Albion College Alumni Association
- General Manager/Director - Traverse City Waves Ball Club, Inc. (TC Waves Softball)